Title: Architectural Designer
REPORTS TO: MANAGING DIRECTOR
The prime objective is to prepare design schemes for orangeries and conservatories which are appropriate to both the Client’s requirements and the existing building, utilising surveys received from sales consultants or architect’s drawings. Such designs must be founded on classical architectural principles, should identify and address constraints caused by the existing building, take into account the specific design and manufacture of our orangeries / conservatories and ensure that best practice in general construction can be achieved.
Designs should also account for the likely planning requirements of local authorities and, in the case of listed buildings, the constraints which could be expected from conservation officers.
In order to optimise opportunities for new sales, the process of validating design / tender requests, drawing, costing and then quoting proposals must be carried out promptly and in a timeframe of no more than 5 working days, to support the sales consultant’s efforts.
On occasion it may also be required to prepare final working drawings, planning applications, listed building consent applications, building control applications and job cards for sold projects.
- Validation of initial surveys within 24hrs of receipt from design consultants or architects drawings, using a standard checklist, ensuring that all necessary information is available to allow the required design to be drawn. Validation checklists should be signed, dated and placed in the file for each project.
- Educate the sales consultants in respect of the architectural quality of their designs and what is expected from them.
- Development and maintenance of validation checklist
- Liaison with sales consultants / Clients about detail of designs and communication of information required to develop and improve the quality of surveys produced.
- Preparation of hand drawn sketch of layout to be produced or developed with the sales person, which reflects the design agreed with the client. These sketches to be reviewed with MD.
- Creation of 2D design proposal drawings comprising front elevation, side elevation(s), frame plan and roof plan using Autocad
- Ensure that alternative design options are individually referenced and revisions identified. Superseded drawings to be archived immediately.
- Maintain a clean and precise filing system on the server for projects, in conjunction with the Sales Co-ordinator.
- Ensure that copies of all communication, drawings, costings, quotations are filed in the envelope for the Client / project.
- Communicate finished design proposals to sales consultants to obtain approval of design copy MD in on every DP
- Produce costing / prices for design proposals / tenders using costing spread sheet
- Ensure sub-contract watercolours requested by Sales Consultants are kept to a minimum
- Produce quotations for design proposals / tenders.
- Ensure that all drawing / costing / quotation files are saved in the correct location in the Client folder on the server. Costing and quotations must be referenced to specific drawing / revisions. Superseded versions to be archived immediately.
- Liaise with the Sales Co-ordinator to prioritise projects and agree weekly work schedules each Monday
- Ensure that a design proposal, costing and quotation are produced for each project within 5 working days from the date of validation.
- The average time taken to complete each design proposal, costing and quotation should be around 4.5 hours, enabling between 7 to 9 projects to be processed every week.
- Identify, communicate and resolve capacity issues on a daily / weekly basis to ensure that the turnaround target for all complete proposals is adhered to.
- Provide Sales Co-ordinator time info required to maintain the Leads spreadsheet ensuring that planned and actual completion dates for milestones are entered accurately for every project.
- Monitor and record the quality of initial surveys through validation refusals.
- Develop personal architectural skills in relation to classical design and proportions.
- Record the time spent on each design proposal / costing / quotation on a timesheet and report these on a weekly basis.
- Maintain a tidy work environment.
- Other tasks as may be reasonably required
Health & Safety
- Be aware of display screen regulations and report any issues with work station to line manager immediately
- Observe health and safety rules and procedures