Gaining Necessary Consent

conservatory / orangery Planning & Permitted Development Permission

Hampton Conservatories’ adept staff has vast experience in working with Planning Departments and will handle this on your behalf while keeping you well informed from start to finish. Planning guidelines and regulations vary based on your locality, so it is important to understand the various nuances. For this reason we would recommend that you allow us to undertake these permissions on your behalf as we have a very good success rate of gaining approvals due to our understanding of the complexities associated with this task.

In some planning areas and in very sensitive situations, where we feel that it is merited, we use specialist planning advisors with local specialist knowledge.

On the other end of the scale there are some scenarios where planning permission may not be required if it is in line with the Larger Home Extensions: Neighbour Consultation Scheme
which will be valid between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019. In this case Hampton’s will advise you in detail, but in general an extension with the following dimensions will not require planning permission: 

A building 8 m wide, to the rear of a detached property or to the side if it is not facing a highway. A building 6 m wide, to the rear of all other houses or to the side if it is not facing a highway. It must be built at ground level and should be separated from the house by quality external doors. It should have an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls. Glazing and any fixed electrical installations should comply with the applicable building regulations requirements.


Listed Building Consent

A 'listed building' is a building that has been judged to be of national importance in terms of architectural or historic interest. Listed building control is a type of planning control that protects buildings of special architectural or historical interest. These controls are in addition to any planning regulations which would normally apply. Listed building status can also result in the requirement for planning permission where it wouldn’t ordinarily be needed.

Any application must give sufficient detail; including a plan and other drawings necessary, to allow the impact of the works on the building to be properly assessed. We at Hampton conservatories prefer to make all applications on your behalf and when appropriate enlist specialist consultants to assist in complex cases.

Building Regulations

Building regulations are often confused with ‘Planning Permission’ land with ‘Listed Building Approval’ however, there is a distinct difference. At Hampton we are happy to use our expertise in this field to handle the whole process on your behalf. We recognise the importance for us to keep abreast of the current regulations as they are constantly changing, and will advise you accordingly for each individual case. Generally, an extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, this means that you will not require planning permission providing that it meets certain limitations and conditions.

Set out below are some questions frequently asked by our customers:

Do I need to make a Building Control Application to remove or widen the opening in a wall linking our conservatory/orangery with the main property?

Yes, alterations of a structural nature require Building Control approval. Generally, where the installation of a beam or lintel is required, the advice of a Structural Engineer may be necessary. At Hamptons, if we are carrying out the building project we provide all of the engineering required.

Do I need to make a Building Control application for a conservatory?

No, providing that it is an extension to a building that it is at ground level and has a floor area not exceeding 30m². Conservatories must have at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the external wall made of glass, with physical separation between the dwelling and the conservatory. Glazing must conform to Building Regulations. Any heating must be controlled. However, if a new opening to the existing structure is required for access to the conservatory, an application is required for that part of the work. 

The majority of our projects do not meet all the criteria and an application is usually necessary. We would advise, in most cases, to make a Building Regulation application of the work being carried out. This will give you peace of mind that your building work has been built to standard, inspected by an independent party and that at the end of the project you will receive a building control certificate to tuck away in your house deeds.

What is a Party Wall?

The main types of Party Walls are:

  • A wall that stands on the lands of 2 (or more) owners and forms part of a building - this wall can be part of one building only or separate buildings belonging to different owners.
  • A wall that stands on the lands of 2 owners but does not form part of a building, such as a garden wall but not including timber fences.
  • A wall that is on one owner’s land but is used by 2 (or more) owners to separate their buildings.

As with all work that affects neighbours, it is best to reach a friendly agreement rather than resorting to any law. However, if an agreement cannot be reached, a Party Wall Surveyor should be appointed and the surveyor will produce an Award which should be impartial and fair to both parties.

Structural Calculations

We provide independent structural calculation for every building. Our engineering, designs calculations all comply with building control regulations. To ensure that you have a building that has been independently verified as fit for purpose the proper consideration is made to the delicate balance between aesthetics and structural integrity.